Historical Background

 

The National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI), Umudike is one of the 17 Agricultural Research Institutes in Nigeria. The Institute started as a Provincial Experimental Farm under the Nigerian Department of Agriculture with Headquarters at Moor Plantation, Ibadan in January 1, 1923. In 1955, the training arm School of Agriculture was established and the two establishments came under the Director of Agriculture with Headquarters at Enugu following the regionalization of the country and was known as the Eastern Nigeria Agricultural Research Station. The Institute was merged with the School of Agriculture and became Agricultural Research and Training Station (ARTS) in 1956. It assumed a federal status to become Federal Agricultural Research and Training Station (FARTS) in April 1, 1972. By April 1, 1976 it became known as National Root Crops Research Institute by the Agricultural Research Institutes Decree of 1973, and its enabling Acts of 1975 and came under the Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN).

 

Home

Mandate Management Projects Achievements Events